Some couples may consider a legal separation rather than a divorce. Personal, religious, or financial reasons may cause a couple to believe that legal separation is the correct route for them.
A separation agreement is an enforceable contract. Your legal separation can cover such issues as:
- Dividing assets, property, and debts
- Spousal maintenance
- Tax Issues
- Pension Division
- Child support
- Child custody and visitation
- Medical / Life Insurance
An attorney can also bring a court action for a formal decree of legal separation. If you are considering a separation or divorce, you owe it to yourself to call the Salant lawyers. With a free consultation, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Benefits of a Legal Separation
There is no doubt that a divorce changes lives dramatically. A legal separation may be preferable in some situations. The most common benefits of a legal separation are:
- Ability to reconcile the relationship without having to get remarried
- The parties may continue to file joint income taxes
- Health insurance benefits as a spouse may be maintained under an existing plan if you are separated rather than divorce
Why the Salant Lawyers?
Throughout Westchester County, Putnam County, Rockland County, Dutchess County, and NYC, the Salant lawyers will ensure you are represented strongly & efficiently from beginning to end in your separation or divorce.