divorce attorney white plains ny
How to Get a Quick Divorce in White Plains, New York
If you have decided to end your marriage and file for a divorce, you may not want to delay the process. Although the enactment of a no-fault divorce in New York does a lot to speed up the divorce process and lower the cost of divorce, the process can still take time because spouses argue about matters they need to resolve in their marriage. There are several ways to get a quick divorce in New York, but doing so will require effort on your part as well as cooperation from your spouse.
Here are some tips from the experienced divorce attorney Gregory Salant at Harold, Salant, Strassfield & Spielberg:
- Seek the help of an experienced divorce attorney. Your attorney can advise you on how to proceed and help you avoid mistakes that can create future problems. He or she can ensure a quick and effective divorce process.
- Negotiate with your spouse. To make things easier, start with simpler topics and work your way to the more difficult ones. By the time you start to negotiate the difficult issues, you may have established a level of commitment with your spouse.
- If you are unable to reach an agreement, do not end up arguing or fighting. This will not help you make progress in your divorce.
- Communicate to each other respectfully. If you have children, you will have to work cooperatively for their benefit. If your communication is contentious, there is very little chance of avoiding litigation.
- If you are required to appear in court, show up on time to ensure that the proceedings go smoothly.
- If there are unresolved issues, try mediation. A mediator can help you work toward an effective compromise between you and your spouse.
If you are considering a separation in your marriage, an experienced divorce attorney can advise you and will provide you with the necessary information to draft your separation agreement. If you are facing a breach of the agreement from your spouse, an experienced divorce attorney can advise you on how to protect your legal rights and interests. Call or email White Plains divorce attorney Gregory Salant for a free consultation at firstname.lastname@example.org or 914-683-2500.