Yonkers Family Court
Gregory Salant is an experienced family court lawyer throughout NYC, including Yonkers, and throughout Westchester County. If you need assistance for child custody, contact him for a free consultation at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 914-683-2500. Below is an overview of how courts decide child custody cases.
When deciding child custody, most courts follow a standard that gives the “best interests of the child” the greatest importance. All custody and visitation decisions will be made with an aim to foster and encourage happiness, security, mental health and the emotional development of the child. Many factors determine the “best interests” of the child. Some of the common factors include:
- The preferences of the child (whether the child is old enough to express his/her wishes);
- Age, gender, mental and physical health of the child;
- Physical and mental health of the parents;
- Parent’s lifestyle and social factors (whether the child is exposed to second-hand smoke and/or if there is any history of child abuse);
- If the child has special needs, how do the parents take care of those needs;
- The emotional bond between the parent and the child, as well as the parent’s ability to give the child guidance;
- Other children whose custody is related to the child’s custody arrangement;
- Support and opportunity for interaction with members of the household, extended family of either parent;
- The parent’s ability to provide the child with food, shelter, clothing, and medical care;
- Adjustment to school and community;
- If there is a pattern of domestic violence, excessive discipline or emotional abuse, evidence of parental drug, alcohol or child/sex abuse in the home;
- The child’s established living pattern (school, home, community, religious institution);
- Quality of the child’s education in the present situation;
- and the impact of changing the status quo on the child.
Gregrory Salant has experience in Yonkers family court and family courts throughout NYC and Westchester county, making him a great option as your family law attorney. Contact him today for a free consultation on your family court case. Email email@example.com or call 914-683-2500.